Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Lumber Jack 100

100 miles of single track and 8 thousand feet of climbing. Pretty much correct although Cory and I have found out that the term single track varies from state to state. The Lumberjack course was quite similar, in terms of single track, as Murphy or the river bottoms with sections like T-wirth. There were a number of crazy fast down hills, one that was kinda tight, which wove us through the trees…Quite fun.

The race started with a mile long ride on pavement then hit a 200 hundred foot long sandy climb. The race was all single track from then on out.

My race started good, I got in a good group and completed the first 25-mile lap in 2 hours and 12 min. The second lap was a bit slower at 2 hours and 20 some min. The pits were before the finish line so after the second lap I went in to get more food and drinks so I had about a 15 min stop. The 3rd lap was the most fun as I felt great and was just riding and smiling. No pressure just pure single-track fun. See Corey and I went into this race with the goal of 3 laps, as last year there were over 50% DNF’s so we figure that 75 miles would be a good test. Well because of that I decided to go for it all. I started my last lap 7 hours and 52 min after I started the first so I was not worried about the 9.5 hour cut off time. Well that last lap was not so much fun and was quite challenging.

I have done a number of 24-hour races, century rides, and long point to point rides and I have to say that I was extremely proud of myself when I finished. Not to be too self centered here but it has to be one of my proudest moments in my cycling career, especially because this was the first time I have ridden 100 miles of good single track in one day.

Total tally of 100 miles and 8000 feet of climbing
My final time was 10 hours and 43 min. Just over 10 hours of actual ride time.
I finished in 97 place; with 130 finishers (Men) there were over 50 DNF’s

Cory finished two laps, 50 miles, in 5 hours and something. Although the results show only one lap finished he did complete 2. It had to do with how the pits and finish line was set up. Good Job Cory.

-Booms

No comments: